20 Times the American Health Care System Shocked the Rest of the World
Although American hospitals are world-class, they are available only to those who are able to afford high medical expenses. According to a CNBC report, paying for health care is the number one cause of bankruptcy filing every year in the U.S. Citizens of America are perfectly aware of all the flaws their health care system has and they are not afraid of sharing their opinions with the rest of the world.
Bright Side gathered the most outrageous examples characterizing the current U.S. health care system with all its dubious points and inadequacies.
20. At the Harborview Burn Center that covers 4 northwest states
19. Health care wars
18. This is the cost of a rattlesnake bite in America.
17. Crowdfunding is becoming mainstream in the U.S.
16. Good advice can help save lots of money.
Healthcare Tip: Befriend a shady veterinarian now
— Sam Grittner (@SamGrittner) March 10, 2017
15. This is how people with chronic diseases live nowadays.
1.5 bottles of insulin costs about the same amount as a new iPhone. I need a bottle every 3 weeks to stay alive. https://t.co/rMo5ALqbum
— Maria DahvanaHeadley (@MARIADAHVANA) March 7, 2017
14. This is a hand control to a Pride Mobility lift chair that helps those who are unable stand up from a seated position. It costs $107.10 and usually breaks after a year.
13. “My buddy’s son ate a penny, this is how much the hospital charged for a 5 minute procedure to get it out.”
12. In the United States, this is what $14,714.49 of medication looks like.
11. “$138 for this bottle of eye drops. This is what’s wrong with our health care system.”
10. This is how injustice in health care works.
Number of people who go bankrupt every year bc of medical bills:
— Mikel Jollett (@Mikel_Jollett) November 1, 2017
9. “A copy of the bill we got when our daughter was born in Canada”
8. “My dad is celebrating because he finally has health insurance and is able to afford his heart medication.”
7. Health care gift cards
6. “Saving up for my first mammogram.”
5. The choice is obvious.
$10 Uber ride >>>>>>>>> $3K for an ambulance. https://t.co/x5YqtUfGEr
— Bey Phi Bey, Philly Chapter President. (@brownandbella) December 14, 2017
4. “We use these simple metal baskets to process tissue specimens in our hospital. Our supplier charges us $700 apiece. This is why health care costs are so high.”
3. “I forgot my meds and had an anxiety attack at work. My boss freaked out and called 911. I got this bill for less than 2 hours of care and a Xanax.”
2. The sad truth
People ask why Americans are so friendly. It's simple: if we don't have enough friends to crowdfund for us when we get sick, we'll die
— Ariana Lenarsky (@aardvarsk) October 1, 2016
1. “We dressed up as universal health care for Halloween. In America, this is terrifying to half of our population.”
Do you believe that there’s a solution to America’s health care crisis? Share your opinion in the comments!
Preview photo credit turicsa / reddit